General Teaching Assistant/Aide
Types of Degrees General Teaching Assistant/Aide Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many teacher assistant/aide graduations there were in 2018-2019 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What General Teaching Assistant/Aide Majors Need to Know
People with careers related to teacher assistant/aide were asked what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. They weighted these areas on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest.
Knowledge Areas for Teacher Assistant/Aide Majors
This major prepares you for careers in which these knowledge areas are important:
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
Skills for Teacher Assistant/Aide Majors
The following list of skills has been highlighted as some of the most essential for careers related to teacher assistant/aide:
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
Abilities for Teacher Assistant/Aide Majors
Some of the most crucial abilities to master while a teacher assistant/aide student include the following:
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Speech Clarity - The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
- Speech Recognition - The ability to identify and understand the speech of another person.
- Problem Sensitivity - The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
What Can You Do With a General Teaching Assistant/Aide Major?
Below is a list of occupations associated with teacher assistant/aide:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
Who Is Getting a Bachelor’s Degree in General Teaching Assistant/Aide?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of teacher assistant/aide majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||1|
|Hispanic or Latino||0|
How Much Do General Teaching Assistant/Aide Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
The median salary for someone in a career related to teacher assistant/aide is $28,750. This median refers to all degree levels, so you may expect those with a more advanced degree to make more while those with less advanced degrees will typically make less.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to General Teaching Assistant/Aide
Some careers associated with teacher assistant/aide require an advanced degree while some may not even require a bachelor’s. In general, the more advanced your degree the more career options will open up to you. However, there is significant time and money that needs to be invested into your education so weigh the pros and cons.
Find out what the typical degree level is for teacher assistant/aide careers below.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|Less than a High School Diploma||1.2%|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||21.7%|
|Post-Secondary Certificate - awarded for training completed after high school (for example, in agriculture or natural resources, computer services, personal or culinary services, engineering technologies, healthcare, construction trades, mechanic and repair technologies, or precision production)||31.9%|
|Some College Courses||24.2%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||19.3%|
Online General Teaching Assistant/Aide Programs
In the 2018-2019 academic year, 223 schools offered some type of teacher assistant/aide program. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||76||14|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||81||9|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in General Teaching Assistant/Aide Worth It?
The median salary for a teacher assistant/aide grad is $28,750 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
Explore Major by State
Majors Related to General Teaching Assistant/Aide
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to teacher assistant/aide.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|Adult Literacy Tutor/Instructor||6|
|Other Teaching Assistants/Aides||0|
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By IMCBerea College under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|