Elementary & Jr High Administration
Types of Degrees Elementary & Jr High Administration Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many elementary and middle school administration/principalship graduations there were in 2018-2019 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Elementary & Jr High Administration Majors Need to Know
O*NET surveyed people in occupations related to elementary and middle school administration and asked them what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. The responses were rated on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being most important.
Knowledge Areas for Elementary and Middle School Administration Majors
According to O*NET survey takers, a major in elementary and middle school administration should prepare you for careers in which you will need to be knowledgeable in the following areas:
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
Skills for Elementary and Middle School Administration Majors
A major in elementary and middle school administration prepares you for careers in which the following skill-sets are crucial:
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Abilities for Elementary and Middle School Administration Majors
As you progress with your elementary and middle school administration degree, there are several abilities you should pick up that will help you in whatever related career you choose. These abilities include:
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Written Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
- Speech Clarity - The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
What Can You Do With a Elementary & Jr High Administration Major?
Below is a list of occupations associated with elementary and middle school administration:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Education Administrators, Elementary and Secondary School||7.9%||$95,310|
Who Is Getting a Bachelor’s Degree in Elementary & Jr High Administration?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of elementary and middle school administration majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||2|
|Hispanic or Latino||5|
Americans aren’t the only ones with an interest in Elementary and Middle School Administration. About 1.8% of those with this major are international students.
How Much Do Elementary & Jr High Administration Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
The median salary for someone in a career related to elementary and middle school administration is $98,750. This median refers to all degree levels, so you may expect those with a more advanced degree to make more while those with less advanced degrees will typically make less.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Elementary & Jr High Administration
Some degrees associated with elementary and middle school administration may require an advanced degree, while others may not even require a bachelor’s in the field. In general, the more advanced your degree the more career options will open up to you. However, there is significant time and money that needs to be invested into your education so weigh the pros and cons.
Find out what the typical degree level is for elementary and middle school administration careers below.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||9.4%|
|Post-Baccalaureate Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Baccalaureate degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees carrying the title of Master.||0.3%|
|Post-Master’s Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Master’s degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees at the doctoral level.||44.8%|
|First Professional Degree - awarded for completion of a program that: requires at least 2 years of college work before entrance into the program, includes a total of at least 6 academic years of work to complete, and provides all remaining academic requirements to begin practice in a profession.||3.3%|
Online Elementary & Jr High Administration Programs
In 2018-2019, 52 schools offered a elementary and middle school administration program of some type. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||1||0|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||0||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||3||1|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Elementary & Jr High Administration Worth It?
The median salary for a elementary and middle school administration grad is $98,750 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 147% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $1,177,000 after 20 years!
Explore Major by State
Majors Related to Elementary & Jr High Administration
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to elementary and middle school administration.
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Shai-WMIL under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|