Early Childhood Education
Types of Degrees Early Childhood Education Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many early childhood education graduations there were in 2018-2019 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Early Childhood Education Majors Need to Know
O*NET surveyed people in occupations related to child development and asked them what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. The responses were rated on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being most important.
Knowledge Areas for Child development Majors
Child Development majors often go into careers in which the following knowledge areas are important:
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
Skills for Child development Majors
When studying child development, you’ll learn many skills that will help you be successful in a wide range of jobs - even those that do not require a degree in the field. The following is a list of some of the most common skills needed for careers associated with this major:
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Abilities for Child development Majors
Some of the most crucial abilities to master while a child development student include the following:
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Speech Clarity - The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
- Problem Sensitivity - The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
What Can You Do With a Early Childhood Education Major?
People with a child development degree often go into the following careers:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Kindergarten Teachers, Except Special Education||8.0%||$55,470|
|Preschool Teachers, Except Special Education||10.5%||$29,780|
Who Is Getting a Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of child development majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||1,196|
|Hispanic or Latino||2,655|
Americans aren’t the only ones with an interest in Child development. About 1.7% of those with this major are international students.
How Much Do Early Childhood Education Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
Average salaries range from $34,410 to $58,370 (25th to 75th percentile) for careers related to child development. This range includes all degree levels, so the salary for a person with just a bachelor’s degree may be a little less and the one for a person with an advanced degree may be a little more.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Early Childhood Education
Some degrees associated with child development may require an advanced degree, while others may not even require a bachelor’s in the field. In general, the more advanced your degree the more career options will open up to you. However, there is significant time and money that needs to be invested into your education so weigh the pros and cons.
How much schooling do you really need to compete in today’s job market? People currently working in careers related to child development have obtained the following education levels.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||14.8%|
|Post-Secondary Certificate - awarded for training completed after high school (for example, in agriculture or natural resources, computer services, personal or culinary services, engineering technologies, healthcare, construction trades, mechanic and repair technologies, or precision production)||5.3%|
|Some College Courses||6.2%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||5.9%|
|Post-Baccalaureate Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Baccalaureate degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees carrying the title of Master.||9.5%|
Online Early Childhood Education Programs
In 2018-2019, 1,073 schools offered a child development program of some type. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||210||63|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||216||43|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||3||1|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||10||2|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Early Childhood Education Worth It?
The median salary for a child development grad is $34,410 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
Explore Major by State
Majors Related to Early Childhood Education
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to child development.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|Teacher Development & Methodology||5,446|
|Junior High/Intermediate/Middle School Education & Teaching||3,330|
|Kindergarten/Preschool Education & Teaching||2,085|
|Adult & Continuing Education||1,222|
|Montessori Teacher Education||360|
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Vgrigas under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|